When the list of available font encodings is opened (double click on the corresponding font subnode) you can see one of three types of tables containing:
- Character code with corresponding glyph ID for TrueType and OpenType font formats:
You can choose encoding for the certain platform using upper table in "Encodings" window:
- Character ID with the corresponding name for Type 1, PostScript Multiple Master and Type 42 font formats:
You can hide ".notdef" characters (which have no particular name) using button in the main tool bar: (Hide .notdefs)
or choosing "Hide .notdefs" in the "Encoding" menu:
- Character ID with the corresponding glyph ID and name for Type 2 and CFF Multiple Master font formats:
You can also hide ".notdef" characters (which have no particular name) using "Hide .notdefs" button in the main tool bar or choosing "Hide .notdefs" in the "Encoding" menu.
You can delete some characters from the encoding or remove the whole encoding table. To clear all characters from the current encoding select "Clear All" from the "Encoding" menu. To clear only some selected characters choose "Clear selected". You can also use toolbar buttons:
(Clear Selected) or (Clear All)
NOTE: There is an important difference between deleting character encoding in TrueType or OpenType fonts and in other fonts. In TrueType or OpenType fonts the selected character entry is completely deleted from the encoding table. For any other font format (containing character names in the encoding table) the entry is changed so that:
- Character name is set to ".notdef"
- Glyph ID is set to 0
- Character ID is left unchanged
You can add a new entry to TrueType or OpenType font encoding table using "Encoding" menu selection:
or toolbar button:
A new entry is added to the end of the table, it is highlighted with yellow color and has the values of character and glyph IDs equal to the default value of -1:
You can add a new encoding table for any chosen combination of platform and specific IDs to TrueType or OpenType font using appropriate toolbar button:
(Add Encoding Table)
A new empty encoding table is added to the current font. Default values of its PID and SID are 4 and 0 respectively.
You can remove certain encoding table from TrueType or OpenType font using appropriate toolbar button:
(Remove Encoding Table)
To clear all existing tables of the current font press
(Remove All Encoding Tables)
To modify the contents of certain encoding table entry you can first open its Properties window, which contains the following field values for the selected encoding table entry:
"Properties" window allows to modify
- Character and glyph IDs for TrueType and OpenType fonts
- Character, glyph IDs and name for Type 2 and CFF Multiple Master fonts
- Character ID and name for Type 1, Type 42 and PostScript Multiple Master fonts
Changeable information is written in bold typeface. To save encoding modification press "Save" button in the toolbar or select "File->Save" menu item. And don't forget about hotkeys!
- Glyph ID for TrueType and OpenType fonts:
- Glyph ID and name for Type 2 and CFF Multiple Master fonts:
- Name for Type 1, Type 42 and PostScript Multiple Master fonts: